Sunday, July 15, 2012

Dice, Decks, Doors and Math - Part 1


Warning – this post will be long, and probably quite pedantic. Also, I assume most of you can google, so I won’t be posting links to anything, as I feel you should look for it on your own, perhaps finding other things that you find instructive or interesting on the topic. And, this is not my best writing. I chose clarity over elegance (okay, I was just being lazy).

I had intended this post to be in one piece, but I don’t have time to finish it today, and I had promised to get it posted. So I’m going to slap a Part 1 on it and come back to it in a day or two. Sorry to those of you who have been on pins and needles awaiting this exposition.


Background on Me:        

I have both Bachelors’ and Master’s degrees in Mathematics, and am working on a PhD in Mathematics Education. I have only recently begun to identify myself as a mathematician, but I don’t consider myself a very good one. But that is because I compare myself to others who are much more knowledgeable and capable than I. In relation to the general population, I know a great deal more about mathematics than at least 90%, probably more like 95%. I’m not saying this to brag, but it is important to note, because the way non-mathematicians understand and use mathematics can be quite different from those who have had more training and experience in the subject. I also teach mathematics, currently at the introductory college level, but I did teach high school for one year (and then ran like hell). So, a lot of my assumptions about the general level of mathematical knowledge is based on what I see in my classroom, which may not reflect the composition of the overall population, or the gamer subpopulation in particular.

Background on Mathematics:    

There seems to be a large misconception about what mathematics is, and how it is applied. I don’t offer quotes much, but this is one of my favorites “As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.” (Albert Einstein) Mathematics is an axiomatic system – which means there are a basic set of assumptions (axioms) upon which the body of theorems are built. There are also definitions, which are used in building theory, and these definitions must be precisely stated and applied. Many people have the belief that mathematics is always black and white, right or wrong. This is not the case. There are many areas of mathematics where disagreement can occur, often stemming from the basic axioms and definitions. What is true, and this is the focus of much higher order mathematics, is that once a theorem is proven correctly, it must be universally accepted, but with the caveat that it is only as good as the axioms and definitions upon which it rests.

Background on Statistics:

It is not unanimously accepted that statistics is a subgenre of mathematics. I have read several articles discussing this issue, and my opinion on this is not definitive, but statistics is as much about interpretation as calculation. Stealing from a statistics professor I know, statistics is the study of variation. There are a number of statistical terms that are also words in the general lexicon, but the statistical meaning can be quite different than the commonly understood definition. My point here is, people use the terms of statistics in a manner that is not always correct or, more importantly, precise. Precision of language is of the utmost importance in mathematics!

Background on this Post:

I have noticed on forums, that probability theory is not always correctly applied or calculated. Furthermore, there seems to be a lack of understanding of the different kinds of probability and a misuse of statistical terms. I’m not calling anybody dumb, but it inspired me to write this post as a means of describing some of the ideas behind probability theory and explain some of the mathematics involved in making calculations. I will also offer my opinion on the feasibility and usefulness of applying probability within the context of gaming. I’m assuming a level of mathematical knowledge that has Algebra as a background, but I will try to be as clear as possible for people that haven’t seen this before.


Famous Problems in Probability

Perhaps the most well-known probability problem is the Monty Hall problem. This is based on the television show “Let’s Make a Deal”, where a contestant is given the choice of three doors.  Behind one door is a prize, behind the other two is sometimes a goat (I haven’t seen the show in many, many years). I will refer to the prize as good and the other two as bad. So, given three options, the contestant chooses one. The host will subsequently reveal one of the remaining two doors, which is always going to be bad, as in no prize.  This is important. There is a 1/3 chance that the contestant has the prize, while a 2/3 chance that the host does. There is a 100% certainty that the host has at least one door with no prize. When looking at a deck of cards, probability can be reassessed based on information that is revealed. In the Monty Hall problem, no information is revealed. The host will always have a door with no prize to reveal. After the reveal, the contestant is given the option of trading their door with the one the host still has not revealed. Probability is in favor of the host holding the prize, so according to the probabilities, the contestant should always trade.  This is a contentious problem, and some very well-educated people still can’t agree with this conclusion. It took me a while to come to terms with it. It is natural to say that there is an equal chance that the contestant or host holds the prize, 1/2. This is not however the case, the initial probabilities still apply. As I stated, the important thing is that no information is revealed in this case. Information will be key to later arguments.

For those not convinced of the truth behind the Monty Hall problem, I offer an alternate scenario. Say there are 20 doors. The contestant chooses one, so they have a 5% (1/20) chance of holding the prize, while the host has 95% (19/20). If the host reveals 18 doors with no prize behind them, would you still feel the contestant has a 50% chance of winning?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment